Mid-term Review Citizen Voices for Change project (CV4C)
Countries: Cameroon, Central African Republic, Congo, DRC, Gabon.
This assignment aims to understand progress that the project has made so far towards achieving its objectives and outcomes and draw lessons for improvement during the rest of the project’s implementation.
The objectives of the MTR are:
- To assess the extent to which the project is on track, in terms of implementation and achievement of the results (positive /negative/intended/unplanned etc.);
- To conduct a mid-point assessment of enabling conditions / constraining factors stakeholders perceive could help / hinder project sustainability;
- To identify good practices, lessons learnt case studies, and potential models for scale up / adaptation / replication, which will inform activity planning and organisational learning among the partners;
- To revise and validate indicators in the logframe and check whether assumptions are holding
- To make recommendations for the second phase of the project in 2019-20.
Duration: 04/2019 – 12/2019
Client: CIDT - University of Wolverhampton, UK
Development of National REDD+ Strategy
Country: Central African Republic
This project aims to prepare the CAR National Strategy and REDD + Action Plan. The REDD + strategy will include the following elements:
- Objectives of the REDD + strategy in CAR
- Consultations in the strategy development process
- Governance of REDD +
- Institutional Arrangement
- Political and legal environment
- Social and environmental safeguards
- Analysis of factors of deforestation and forest degradation
- Key interventions to combat deforestation and forest degradation
- Implementation approach: emission reduction program
- MRV and SIS system
- Forest Monitoring System
- Reference level
- National Register REDD + Etc.
Duration: 04/2019 – 05/2020
Client: World Bank
Congo Basin Climate Commission Blue Fund
Countries: Angola, Burundi, Congo, Cameroon, Gabon, EG, CAR, DRC, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Morocco, STP, South Sudan, Tanzania, Chad, Zambia.
The prefiguration study of the Blue Fund for the Congo Basin Climate Commission aims at:
- Analyze the institutional, technical, legal, fiscal and financial conditions and draw up the recommendations for ensuring the operationalization of the fund in an optimal timetable and operational framework for all stakeholders.
- Growth funding is needed in the eligible areas to determine the budget to be mobilized by F2BC according to the sequences that led to the emergence of member countries.
- Collector, analyzer and restore the expectations, constraints and objectives of all the countries engaged by the Memorandum of Understanding, as well as by the associated institutional, economic, industrial and associative actors.
The study should produce the following elements:
- The Congo Basin country investment plan presenting a pipeline of projects.
- The financial vehicle, including its legal form, subscription model, capitalization and location.
- Political and strategic governance with the structuring of governance and the development of the associated steering and reporting macro-processes
- The Open Bank of the Blue Funds of the Strategic Management, Transparency and Compliance Legal and Tax.
Duration: 04/ 2019 – 07/ 2019
Client: Ernst & Young / UNDP
REDD+ Feasibility Study and Project Design Document
The main objective of this assignment is to carry out a REDD+ feasibility study and elaborate a REDD+ project document for the Belabo-Doume-Diang (BDD) intermunicipal forest landscape in the eastern region of Cameroon. Fokabs experts will:
- Define the scale of the REDD+ project, the reference zone and escape area of the project,
- Identify stakeholders & key REDD+ activities, conduct extensive consultations;
- Evaluate geo-physical, ecological & land use aspects, & climate and vegetation types;
- Analyse historical and project future drivers of deforestation and forest degradation;
- Describe and demonstrate additionality in the proposed REDD+ project;
- Quantify and estimate current levels and growth of forest carbon stocks in the project area;
- Map carbon pools for the project;
- Develop forest reference levels, MRV system and estimate emission reduction;
- Analyse non-carbon benefit aspects of the REDD+ project; conduct socio-economic study;
- Identify High Conservation Values (HCV) for communities and biodiversity;
- Propose activities to reduce deforestation and forest degradation in the project area;
- Propose a theory of change;
- Assess the social and environmental impacts of project activities and propose safeguards;
- Conduct economic and financial analysis to estimate costs and returns;
- Propose institutional arrangements & stakeholder platforms to manage the project;
- Develop project M&E frameworks & design financial & technical reporting formats;
- Assess land tenure risks and mitigation strategies;
- Propose a mechanism and an operationalization plan for sharing benefits;
- clarify carbon usage and ownership rights at the project site;
- Analyse potential conflicts related to the REDD+ project and propose solutions;
- Evaluate internal and external risks and propose risk mitigation strategies.
Duration: 01/2019 – 07/2019
Client:GIZ / Eco-Consult
Promoting Climate Finance for Agriculture through NDC Processes
Countries: Cameroon & Chad
Promoting Climate Finance for Agriculture through Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) Processes in Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific (ACP) countries is an initiative of the Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation ACP-EU (CTA) implemented across several countries. Fokabs will carry out the following tasks in the project:
- Improved climate finance to support climate-smart agriculture in ACP countries,
- Identify emerging opportunities in the NDCs & Koronivia Joint Work on Agriculture (KJWA),
- Review country NDCs and related policy documents,
- Identify ongoing and planned initiatives in the implementation of NDCs,
- Assess the profile of agriculture and agricultural stakeholders in the NDC implementation,
- Assess capacities and gaps existing in the implementation of agriculture in the NDCs,
- Identify emerging opportunities and specific models for climate finance in agriculture,
- Identify key players in the implementation of NDCs in the country,
- Identify the value addition for CTA engagement to support NDCs in the country.
Duration: 12/2018 – 03/2019
Prefeasibility Study and Preparation of GCF Concept Note
The objective of the project is to support SDPA in conducting a pre-feasibility study and preparing a GCF concept note. The main tasks of Fokabs are to:
- Collect and analyse essential project information;
- Identify the main beneficiaries, target groups and targeted areas;
- Analyze the problems, the identification of barriers and proposals for solutions;
- Clarify the additionality of the results and proposed activities;
- Analyze the coherence of the project with the Sustainable Development Objectives (SDGs), and the priority areas of intervention of the GCF;
- Identify smart technologies and technologies whose exploitation is likely to enhance the resilience of communities to climate shocks;
- Conduct stakeholder analysis and develop stakeholder engagement plan, including community engagement strategy;
- Describe the implementation strategy: institutional anchoring, financial management and audit, procurement and reporting, implementation of activities and their planning, monitoring and evaluation;
- Contribute to the realization of a gender analysis;
- Determine the scope and develop the theory of change of the project;
- Identify and evaluate the costs of project results, products and activities and propose co-financing and financing plans;
- Identify the main risks of the project;
- Propose the logical framework of the project in accordance with the GCF outline; the project work plan and budget;
- Analyze effectiveness, efficiency, sustainability, impact and develop exit strategy.
Duration: 11/2018 - 02/2019
Terminal Evaluation of Water & Agriculture Adaptation Programme
The goal of the GEF/Adaptation Fund programme is to promote increased food security in Eritrea through ecologically sustainable and climate-resilient improvements in agricultural production. The objective is to increase community resilience and adaptive capacity to climate change through an integrated water management and agricultural development approach in the Anseba Region. The project is organized across four outcomes and twelve outputs.
For the terminal evaluation, Fokabs will perform the following tasks:
- · Assess the achievement of project results
- · Draw lessons that can improve the sustainability of benefits from this project and aid in the overall enhancement of UNDP programming
- · Provide advice and recommendations on future application to further expand the benefits of the project.
Duration: 11/2018 – 01/2019
Client: UNDP Eritrea
Development of National Climate Change Strategy
Country: Guinea Conakry
Guinea for the last few years faces climate variability from climate change which called for action to fight recurrent droughts, reduced rainfall and flooding. The NAPA helped to identify agriculture and livestock, water, coastal and forest zones as the vulnerable sectors.
To put in place planned adaptation actions, Fokabs is supporting the government of Guinea to:
- ·Develop their National Climate Change Strategy (NCCS),
- · Develop operational plan for the implementation of the Strategy,
- · Provide decision-makers and stakeholders with updated climate information for planning,
- · Take concrete actions to fight climate change.
Duration: 10/2018 – 02/2019
Client: UNDP Guinea
RRR Mid-term Review
Countries: Belize, Dominican Republic, Dominica, St. Lucia, Guyana, Panama, Liberia, Ghana, Cameroon, Gabon, Congo, DRC, Pakistan, Vietnam, Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Mozambique, Vanuatu, Papua New Guinea, Fiji.
The Reporting for Results-based REDD+ (RRR+) is a three-year project (2017-2019) implemented by the Coalition for Rainforest Nations (CfRN) and the Climate and Development Knowledge Network (CDKN). The project aims at building capacity on the measurement of GHG reductions and carbon stock enhancement in the agriculture, forest and other land use (AFOLU) sector. The mid-term review (MTR) will be conducted in all the 21 countries where the RRR+ project is being implemented.
The MTR aims at:
- Providing an independent assessment of the extent to which the RRR+ project is performing against its results framework, the extent to which the project represents good value for the money and identify gaps or challenges for the remainder of the project.
- Analyzing the assumptions that underpin the project’s Theory of Change (ToC).
- Making recommendations for relevant stakeholders to take forward to support maximum delivery of results going forwards.
Duration: 09/2018 – 11/2018
Client: China Africa Advisory / PwC / NICFI
Vulnerability Assessment (Agriculture, Fishery & Forest Sectors)
In response to the risks posed by climate change, there is a need to conduct and update relevant climate vulnerability and risk assessment in the key sectors. This project will support the Liberian government to put its National Adaptation Planning (NAP) into process, by identifying and updating climate vulnerability and risks in the sectors of agriculture, fishery and forestry and also existing trends in climate.
Fokabs is responsible for:
- · Consulting all relevant documents, data and stakeholders
- · Conducting training workshops on climate risk assessments
- Working with key relevant technical partner institutions and experts to identify broader climate change issues, review existing and past climate change interventions at national and sectoral level
- Working with impact modeler to verify climate change predictions.
- Assessing the occurrence of climate change hazards over the last 10 years
- Identifying observed trends in climate to examine potential future climate conditions, the possible impacts on agriculture, fisheries and forestry
- Conducting field consultation with local community groups in different agro-ecological zones on existing risks and vulnerabilities as well as their knowledge and experience.
- Preparing climate vulnerability maps based on existing environmental and climate data, including land cover/vegetation cover, slopes, hazards, and precipitation distribution.
- Identifying priority areas with high risks or vulnerability
- Mainstreaming gender-based data to inform the impact of climate change on each sector.
Duration: 09/2018 – 11/2018
Client: UNDP Liberia
Final Evaluation of Regional REDD+ Project (PREREDD)
Countries: Cameroon, DRC, CAR, Gabon, Congo, Equatorial Guinea
The main objective of this five-year project was to strengthen the capacities of the Congo Basin countries on REDD + issues so that they are better prepared for the implementation of REDD + and can benefit from it. for sustainable management of their forest ecosystems. To achieve the objectives of this project, three technical components and one cross-cutting component were defined:
- Improved knowledge and coordination of REDD+ in the Congo Basin.
- Strengthening the technical capacities for measuring and monitoring carbon stocks in the forests of the Congo Basin.
- Integration of the REDD+ concept in sustainable forest management projects.
- Project management.
The purpose of the final evaluation included:
- Evaluation of the extent to which the project has achieved its objectives;
- Consideration of the relevance of the project's actions to the initial needs / expectations of the beneficiaries and the consideration of new needs;
- Identification of good practices and lessons learned;
- The overall assessment of the beneficiaries in relation to the initiative; and
- Proposal of recommendations for better beneficiary satisfaction in similar initiatives
Duration: 06 / 2018 – 07 / 2018
Country: Central African Republic
As a Party to the UNFCCC, CAR has submitted a project to assist in the GCF readiness process and the resources obtained in this process will be used to increase the capacity of the GCF National Designated Authority (NDA) and to launch a process of strategic engagement with the GCF secretariat. In this context, Fokabs will:
• Capitalize on national and sub-regional strategic achievements in stakeholder engagement and fund implementation in the climate sector.
• Produce an inventory of national priorities in the fight against the effects of climate change based on extensive consultations with stakeholders (government agencies, National Climate Coordination, civil society, private sector, financial institutions, universities, media, implementing entities). etc., etc.) in the context of the environment, thereby encouraging the commitment of the environment.
• Propose, based on the baseline and in accordance with the GCF Investment Framework, the bases and areas of intervention of the FVC Country Program;
• Develop a Country Program Draft 0 taking into account the short, medium and long-term programmatic interventions of all accredited entities and ensure that they align with the Fund's areas of intervention.
• Review and analysis of policies and strategies: Gathering of documents to update data on Gambia's climate change policies and strategies, such as NAM, NAPA, National Climate Change Policy, Climate Change, and Climate Change. CDN, national communications and other relevant documents.
• Organize a validation workshop with relevant stakeholders to review and validate the draft report.
• Submit the NDA validated country program report.
• Prepare an end-of-assignment report outlining lessons learned from country program development and good practices on stakeholder engagement.
Duration: 04/2018 - 07/2018
Client: UNDP / GCF
African Adaptation Initiative (AAI)
The mission of the AAI is to support African countries to plan and implement adaptation actions. The AAI has prepared the first Africa State of Adaptation Report (SoAR) that was presented in the 73rd UN General Assembly in New York and in UNFCCC COP 24 in Poland. The Report consist of 4 Chapters: Climate Information, Adaptation Governance, Adaptation Implementation and Adaptation Investments.
Fokabs led the chapter on adaptation governance, policy, and institutional development in Africa and analysed and presented:
- · Experiences on national adaptation plans (NAPs), nationally determined contribution (NDC), and Green Climate Fund (GCF) country programme,
- · The state of integration of adaptation initiatives within NDCs, identified sub national adaptation plans within NDCs and priority adaptation sectors,
- · Adaptation trends within the UNFCCC reporting through National Communications (NC) and Biennial Update Report (BUR) of African states.
Duration: 05/2018 – 12/ 2018
Client: UNDP Gabon
Inventory / Cartography of waterpoints (WASH)
Within the framework of UNICEF’s Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) program, the general objective of this project is to carry out the inventories and the geo-referencing of water points and institutional latrines of the Northern region, to make an inventory of the water points and latrines existing in each of the Communes; and to produce thematic maps of basic water supply and sanitation facilities in the Northern Region.
Fokabs is carrying out the following tasks:
o Inventory of works: it will be a question of geo-referencing drinking water points and existing institutional latrines in each commune. This georeferencing will be accompanied by a description of the characteristics of the works to be used for updating the database from the inventory sheets appended to these ToRs. With regard to Drinking Water Additions, each fountain should be connected to the catchment / storage structure;
o Scan of all data sheets on hydraulic works and basic sanitation infrastructure: here it is the question for the firm to scan all the data collection sheets and transmit them to the supervision team under CD / DVD support;
o Marking of inventoried works in topographic pencil according to a codification agreed with the Ministry of Water Resources (MINEE);
o Integration of the data collected in the MINEE database: based on the geo-referenced data and other data collected, the research department will update the data management software package available at MINEE. Access to the MINEE database will be guaranteed to the design office for this work;
o Production of thematic maps: at the beginning of the mission, UNICEF (in coordination with the MINEE) will agree with the consulting firm chosen on themes of interest.
Duration: 05/2018 – 06/2018
Client: GWP / UNICEF
UNFCCC Negotiations - SB48 / COP24
Countries: Burundi, Cameroon, DRC, Congo, Gabon, CAR, Rwanda, Chad, Equatorial Guinea, STP
The ten member States of COMIFAC actively participate in the UNFCCC negotiations. Experts from Fokabs will be supporting the ten States during UNFCCC 48th subsidiary body meeting and also prepare them prior to COP24 in Poland. Key areas to be covered include but are not limited to REDD+, adaptation, agriculture, rules book for the implementation of the Paris Agreement (APA agenda item 3 – 8), climate finance, article 6 related to cooperative approaches - Internationally Transferred Mitigation Outcomes (ITMO); sustainable development mechanism and non-market approach.
Duration: 04/2018 – 10/2018
Client: COMIFAC / GIZ
GCF Readiness Programme
Fokabs is supporting the National Designated Authority (NDA) of the government of Cameroon in the Green Climate Fund Readiness process. Fokabs is hired to perform the following:
• Strengthen the capacities of the GCF focal point and actors on GCF procedures
• Help set up a coordination mechanism for Cameroon in accordance with GCF standards
• Train actors on accreditation procedures and support those who are willing to join the accreditation process
• contribute to the analysis of Cameroon's needs and priorities on behalf of the GCF
• Ensure the development of the country program in accordance with the standards required by the GCF
• Provide technical support for the development of Cameroon concept notes for the GCF
• strengthen the capacity of the designated national authority to lead and coordinate the development of bankable projects and the formulation of a national strategic engagement framework for the GCF
• strengthen the capacity of governmental and non-governmental actors in climate finance, and thus stimulate stakeholder engagement for the GCF
• Provide intensive advice and support for the transfer of knowledge and skills to NDA staff through training, coaching, etc.
• Analyze the needs of the DNA and propose a plan for the development of human resources and capacity building
• Identify and conduct at least one training on climate finance, the impacts of development activities on carbon and climate and / or social and environmental safeguards;
• Analyze the needs for strengthening the institutional and regulatory framework and develop a capacity building plan related to the needs and requirements of climate finance
• Work closely with NDA, its team, IUCN and accredited agencies on GCF issues, including proposal preparation, involvement of the private sector, non-state actors and other stakeholders, GCF instruments, etc.
• Assist in the development of a communication plan on the GCF for Cameroon.
Duration: 05/2018 – 10/2018
Capitalization of REDD+ initiatives in the national REDD+ strategy
Since 2014, one of the components of the National Community Driven Development Programme (PNDP) aims at reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation (REDD+) in view of contributing to the development and implementation of Cameroon’s national REDD+ Strategy. This is being realised through the implementation of five PNDP REDD+ pilot projects in selected municipalities. The objectives of these projects are not only to tests REDD+ strategic option, but they also have to stimulate local and regional development as well as promote the effective management of natural resources at the local level. The project components are structured around three aspects namely: support for the development and implementation of REDD+ projects; support to the national REDD + strategy; and coordination and management.
It is in this context that Fokabs will perform the following tasks:
• Review literature to better understand the broader objectives and results of the REDD+ component of the PNDP and each project.
• Conduct an in-depth analysis of the REDD+ processes put in place by the REDD + component of the PNDP and analysis of their alignment or adequacy with existing national procedures;
• Analyse and verify the level of requirements, national and international REDD+ standards in the framework of the pilot projects;
• Evaluate and identify the strengths and weaknesses of the tools developed by the project, the mechanisms used to lead component 1 of the projects;
• Evaluate potential changes or impacts of REDD + projects;
• Identify the elements that can be capitalized and the options for their valorisation or included in the framework of the national REDD + strategy;
• Propose recommendations for alternative measures that could contribute to the development of Cameroon's national REDD+ strategy;
• Propose a range of activities or actions needed to drive, to improve the overall impact of Component 1;
• Organize a briefing session to validate the results and lessons learned from the development of the REDD+ component and pilot projects to the communes.
Duration: 04/2018 - 06/2018
Client: MINEPAT (PNDP) / AFD
National REDD+ Strategy Sudan
The World Bank’s Forest Carbon Partnership Facility (FCPF) is supporting Sudan to prepare a National REDD+ Strategy that include strategic options for addressing the drivers of deforestation and forest degradation. Fokabs is playing a key role in this process and provides technical backstopping and quality assurance to the preparation of the National REDD+ strategy.
Specific responsibilities of Fokabs:
- Bring in the regional and international context, experiences and lessons and successful examples of REDD+ that can inform the preparation of Sudan’s national REDD+ strategy
- Ensure that the strategy is in line with the UNFCCC, FCPF and the other multilateral and bilateral guidelines and requirements
- Ensure that the Sudan’s national REDD+ strategy meets the multilateral (e.g GCF) and bilateral funding organizations
- Provide guiding material and technical input that enables national consultants to meet international requirement and facilitate the preparation of the national strategy, e.g. stepwise approach for preparation of the strategy or to conduct feasibility assessment, etc
- Review and provide feedback on technical outputs and reports along the process of the preparation of national strategy, e.g. Selection of strategic options, feasibility assessments of strategic options, policies analysis, etc.
- Support and participate in capacity building, awareness raising and consultation events, as appropriate.
- Assist in the drafting, technical review and finalization of the national REDD+ strategy.
Duration: 02/2018 – present
Client: World Bank FCPF / REDD+ Sudan
Country: The Gambia
FOKABS is supporting the development of the Gambia’s country programme / strategic framework for engaging with GCF. The country programme will build on existing climate policies, plans and strategies. This is part of a broader Readiness Support Project that the government of the Gambia is implementing and is geared towards enhancing the capacity of the National Designated Authority (NDA) on Climate Change related matters with emphasis on climate finance, mitigation, adaptation and climate change impact on the economy.
Client: Government of the Gambia
The overall objective of this project is to assess the vulnerability of drinking water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) services in the Mayo Tsanaga sub-basin and to identify the resilience measures practiced by communities .
FOKABS is responsible for:
- Analysing the operation of the WASH infrastructure in the sub-basin;
- Assessing the vulnerability of these infrastructures to the effects of climate change;
- Identifying endogenous practices / measures of resilience of WASH services;
- Analysing the adaptability of populations and communities in the sub-basin;
- Proposing adaptation solutions for sustainable access to affordable, endogenous WASH services.
Duration: 10/2017 – 12/2017
Client: GWP / UNICEF