Review of Funding Proposals to be funded by GCF
The objective of this assignment is to support the GCF Secretariat and particularly the DCP in the assessment of projects and programmes proposed for GCF funding. It will also include providing expert advice on the extent to which ESS, gender and IP issues, risk and potential impacts have been considered, assessed, proposed to be managed and incorporated into projects/programmes proposed for funding, already funded by the GCF or under implementation.
Duration: 12/2019 – 12/2020
Preparation of REDD+ GCF Concept note
Countries: Burundi, Cameroon, DRC, Congo, Gabon, CAR, Rwanda, Chad, Equatorial Guinea, Sao Tome & Principe
The objective of this assignment is to provide substantive support to COMIFAC and the governments of its ten member states in drafting a funding proposal for the Green Climate Fund. Specific tasks include:
- Preparation of background study on forests, SFM and forest policies in Central Africa;
- Draft a pre-feasibility study;
- Draft 2 project proposals to serve as both stand-alone projects and templates for full range of project proposals;
- Participate in meetings and multi-stakeholder consultations with donors, ministries, NGOs, private sector and other relevant stakeholders;
- Work in close collaboration with COMIFAC and governments of its member states, UNFF’s Secretariat and the recommended accredited entity to produce relevant outputs.
Duration: 11/2019 – 06/2020
Preparation of Biennial Update Report
Country: Republic of Congo
The objective of this assignment is to guide the Republic of Congo in the preparation of its Biennial Update Report (BUR) with guidance from UNEP. This will include taking stock, stakeholder consultations, proposing a workplan and preparing a Biennial Update Report for submission to UNFCCC by the Republic of Congo.
Duration: 12/2019 – 01/2020
Client: Ministry of Environment
Translation of technical forestry and climate change documents
Countries: African countries
The objective of this assignment is to translate AFF’s technical forestry and climate change documents from English to French so that these documents, which are relevant to many African forestry stakeholders in decision making, policy formulation and implementation, can reach a wider audience.
Duration: 12 / 2019 – 03 / 2020
Client: African Forest Forum
Development of GCF full proposal on climate-smart agriculture
The goal of this project is to build the climate-resilience of Liberian smallholder farmers and facilitate the development of a sustainable crop and livestock-based economy by implementing large-scale climate-smart agricultural practices in different part of Liberia.
To achieve this goal, the project will:
- Develop a final GCF Funding Proposal that is consistent with all GCF requirements;
- Develop one additional GCF concept note that is consistent with all GCF requirements;
- Ensure that the GCF Funding Proposal is in line with UNFCCC and GCF Environmental Social Safeguard standards;
- Support UNDP Liberia in structuring the theory of change, logical framework and paradigm shift potential of the program;
- Ensure inclusion of the results of all essential stakeholder consultations within the Liberian NAP project into the design of the funding proposal; and
- Ensure the use of high quality referenced data to justify adaptation needs and quantify and qualify impacts of intended adaptation actions.
The project will directly and indirectly benefit an estimated 45,200 men and women who will implement or be engaged in climate-smart agriculture practices.
Duration: 09/2019 – 12 / 2019
Client: UNDP Liberia
GCF feasibility study on zero deforestation cocoa
The main objective of this assignment is to identify and implement in a concrete way, activities concerning the “zero deforestation in cocoa production” approach in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the Central Region, thus contributing to the development of the Emission Reduction Scenario.
Specific tasks for this project:
- Establish basic unit of expected emission reduction
- Establish geographical limit of the implementation of pilot
- Develop a potential assessment of the Central Region
- Specify stakeholders involved in the project and project activities
- Identify elements of social and environmental safeguards
- Propose monitoring and evaluation indicators
- Propose guidelines for capacity building activities
- Propose a pilot site for feasibility activity
- Develop a GCF concept note
Duration: 09 / 2019 – 11 / 2019
Client: JAFTA / JICA
Strengthen capacities of African forestry stakeholders to respond to climate change
Countries: Francophone Africa
This assignment aims at conducting studies on capacity strengthening for African forestry stakeholders on integrating adaptation and mitigation options in different forests, tree resources outside forests and social systems in both Anglophone and Francophone Africa.
Specific tasks for this assignment:
- Identify key stakeholders implementing promising forest-based adaptation and mitigation policies, strategies and actions;
- Identify key stakeholders implementing promising on farm tree-based adaptation and mitigation activities in areas around the chosen forest type through Agroforestry and other farm-based management of natural resources (FMNR) approaches;
- Evaluate the determinants of choice of strategies in (i) and (ii) as well as success in both on addressing climate change and variability in the chosen forest and agroforest types;
- Evaluate the external environment, including policies, legislation and incentives that have facilitated implementation of these promising adaptation and mitigation activities in selected forest types and other land use based on trees outside forests; and
- Develop a framework for integrating forest and tree-based adapatation and mitigation options in the chosen forest/agroforest types.
Duration: 06 / 2019 – 09 / 2019
Client: African Forest Forum
Develop teaching compendiums for training on forests and climate change in Africa
Countries: African countries
This assignment aims at developing four training modules on forests and climate change in a pedagogical manner, so as to facilitate sub-regional training workshops in Sub-Saharan African countries.
Specific tasks include:
- Update and develop content of the training modules on forests and climate change mitigation for short courses;
- Produce the training compendium with illustrations;
- Facilitate a meeting with experts to validate the training compendium produced; and
- Produce a report on validation workshop of the training compendium.
Duration: 06 / 2019 – 08 /2019
Client: African Forest Forum
Mainstreaming climate change into protected areas and conservation strategies
The goal of this assignment is to facilitate the mainstreaming of climate change adaptation in protected area management plans and the WWF conservation strategy.
Specific objectives are as follows:
- Conduct vulnerability assessment around key protected areas in WWF priority landscapes;
- Assess protected area management plans for climate change adaptation mainstreaming options;
- Mainstream climate change adaptation in protected area management and WWF conservation plans; and
- Monitor and document key lessons learnt and project processes and outcomes to facilitate replication elsewhere.
Duration: 07/2019 – 10/2019
Enhancing African national forest governance to respond to the Paris Climate Agreement.
Countries: African countries
This assignment has as objective to generate information and knowledge on how African national forest governance is responding to the Paris Agreement and related global climate change policies and initiatives.
- Identify areas of overlap and synergy in the national forestry sector and other relevant global and regional climate change related policies and initiatives;
- Identify knowledge and skills required on mainstreaming global and regional climate policies and initiatives into national forestry policies;
- Identify gaps in the development of national forest sector contribution to current NDCs;
- Define the role of REDD+ in the national forestry sector contributions to NDCs;
- Improve representation of LULUCF in NDCs; and
- Assess how to increase capacity for national forestry sector reporting to national, regional and international constituencies as well as strengthening development second NDC in 2020.
Duration: 08 / 2019 – 11 / 2019
Client: African Forest Forum
Mid-term Review Citizen Voices for Change project (CV4C)
Countries: Cameroon, Central African Republic, Congo, DRC, Gabon.
This assignment aims to understand progress that the project has made so far towards achieving its objectives and outcomes and draw lessons for improvement during the rest of the project’s implementation.
The objectives of the MTR are:
- To assess the extent to which the project is on track, in terms of implementation and achievement of the results (positive /negative/intended/unplanned etc.);
- To conduct a mid-point assessment of enabling conditions / constraining factors stakeholders perceive could help / hinder project sustainability;
- To identify good practices, lessons learnt case studies, and potential models for scale up / adaptation / replication, which will inform activity planning and organisational learning among the partners;
- To revise and validate indicators in the logframe and check whether assumptions are holding
- To make recommendations for the second phase of the project in 2019-20.
Duration: 04/2019 – 12/2019
Client: CIDT - University of Wolverhampton, UK
Development of National REDD+ Strategy
Country: Central African Republic
This project aims to prepare the CAR National Strategy and REDD + Action Plan. The REDD + strategy will include the following elements:
- Objectives of the REDD + strategy in CAR
- Consultations in the strategy development process
- Governance of REDD +
- Institutional Arrangement
- Political and legal environment
- Social and environmental safeguards
- Analysis of factors of deforestation and forest degradation
- Key interventions to combat deforestation and forest degradation
- Implementation approach: emission reduction program
- MRV and SIS system
- Forest Monitoring System
- Reference level
- National Register REDD + Etc.
Duration: 04/2019 – 05/2020
Client: World Bank
Congo Basin Climate Commission Blue Fund
Countries: Angola, Burundi, Congo, Cameroon, Gabon, EG, CAR, DRC, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Morocco, STP, South Sudan, Tanzania, Chad, Zambia.
The prefiguration study of the Blue Fund for the Congo Basin Climate Commission aims at:
- Analyze the institutional, technical, legal, fiscal and financial conditions and draw up the recommendations for ensuring the operationalization of the fund in an optimal timetable and operational framework for all stakeholders.
- Growth funding is needed in the eligible areas to determine the budget to be mobilized by F2BC according to the sequences that led to the emergence of member countries.
- Collector, analyzer and restore the expectations, constraints and objectives of all the countries engaged by the Memorandum of Understanding, as well as by the associated institutional, economic, industrial and associative actors.
The study should produce the following elements:
- The Congo Basin country investment plan presenting a pipeline of projects.
- The financial vehicle, including its legal form, subscription model, capitalization and location.
- Political and strategic governance with the structuring of governance and the development of the associated steering and reporting macro-processes
- The Open Bank of the Blue Funds of the Strategic Management, Transparency and Compliance Legal and Tax.
Duration: 04/ 2019 – 07/ 2019
Client: Ernst & Young / UNDP
REDD+ Feasibility Study and Project Design Document
The main objective of this assignment is to carry out a REDD+ feasibility study and elaborate a REDD+ project document for the Belabo-Doume-Diang (BDD) intermunicipal forest landscape in the eastern region of Cameroon. Fokabs experts will:
- Define the scale of the REDD+ project, the reference zone and escape area of the project,
- Identify stakeholders & key REDD+ activities, conduct extensive consultations;
- Evaluate geo-physical, ecological & land use aspects, & climate and vegetation types;
- Analyse historical and project future drivers of deforestation and forest degradation;
- Describe and demonstrate additionality in the proposed REDD+ project;
- Quantify and estimate current levels and growth of forest carbon stocks in the project area;
- Map carbon pools for the project;
- Develop forest reference levels, MRV system and estimate emission reduction;
- Analyse non-carbon benefit aspects of the REDD+ project; conduct socio-economic study;
- Identify High Conservation Values (HCV) for communities and biodiversity;
- Propose activities to reduce deforestation and forest degradation in the project area;
- Propose a theory of change;
- Assess the social and environmental impacts of project activities and propose safeguards;
- Conduct economic and financial analysis to estimate costs and returns;
- Propose institutional arrangements & stakeholder platforms to manage the project;
- Develop project M&E frameworks & design financial & technical reporting formats;
- Assess land tenure risks and mitigation strategies;
- Propose a mechanism and an operationalization plan for sharing benefits;
- clarify carbon usage and ownership rights at the project site;
- Analyse potential conflicts related to the REDD+ project and propose solutions;
- Evaluate internal and external risks and propose risk mitigation strategies.
Duration: 01/2019 – 07/2019
Client:GIZ / Eco-Consult
Promoting Climate Finance for Agriculture through NDC Processes
Countries: Cameroon & Chad
Promoting Climate Finance for Agriculture through Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) Processes in Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific (ACP) countries is an initiative of the Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation ACP-EU (CTA) implemented across several countries. Fokabs will carry out the following tasks in the project:
- Improved climate finance to support climate-smart agriculture in ACP countries,
- Identify emerging opportunities in the NDCs & Koronivia Joint Work on Agriculture (KJWA),
- Review country NDCs and related policy documents,
- Identify ongoing and planned initiatives in the implementation of NDCs,
- Assess the profile of agriculture and agricultural stakeholders in the NDC implementation,
- Assess capacities and gaps existing in the implementation of agriculture in the NDCs,
- Identify emerging opportunities and specific models for climate finance in agriculture,
- Identify key players in the implementation of NDCs in the country,
- Identify the value addition for CTA engagement to support NDCs in the country.
Duration: 12/2018 – 03/2019
Prefeasibility Study and Preparation of GCF Concept Note
The objective of the project is to support SDPA in conducting a pre-feasibility study and preparing a GCF concept note. The main tasks of Fokabs are to:
- Collect and analyse essential project information;
- Identify the main beneficiaries, target groups and targeted areas;
- Analyze the problems, the identification of barriers and proposals for solutions;
- Clarify the additionality of the results and proposed activities;
- Analyze the coherence of the project with the Sustainable Development Objectives (SDGs), and the priority areas of intervention of the GCF;
- Identify smart technologies and technologies whose exploitation is likely to enhance the resilience of communities to climate shocks;
- Conduct stakeholder analysis and develop stakeholder engagement plan, including community engagement strategy;
- Describe the implementation strategy: institutional anchoring, financial management and audit, procurement and reporting, implementation of activities and their planning, monitoring and evaluation;
- Contribute to the realization of a gender analysis;
- Determine the scope and develop the theory of change of the project;
- Identify and evaluate the costs of project results, products and activities and propose co-financing and financing plans;
- Identify the main risks of the project;
- Propose the logical framework of the project in accordance with the GCF outline; the project work plan and budget;
- Analyze effectiveness, efficiency, sustainability, impact and develop exit strategy.
Duration: 11/2018 - 02/2019
Terminal Evaluation of Water & Agriculture Adaptation Programme
The goal of the GEF/Adaptation Fund programme is to promote increased food security in Eritrea through ecologically sustainable and climate-resilient improvements in agricultural production. The objective is to increase community resilience and adaptive capacity to climate change through an integrated water management and agricultural development approach in the Anseba Region. The project is organized across four outcomes and twelve outputs.
For the terminal evaluation, Fokabs will perform the following tasks:
- · Assess the achievement of project results
- · Draw lessons that can improve the sustainability of benefits from this project and aid in the overall enhancement of UNDP programming
- · Provide advice and recommendations on future application to further expand the benefits of the project.
Duration: 11/2018 – 01/2019
Client: UNDP Eritrea
Development of National Climate Change Strategy
Country: Guinea Conakry
Guinea for the last few years faces climate variability from climate change which called for action to fight recurrent droughts, reduced rainfall and flooding. The NAPA helped to identify agriculture and livestock, water, coastal and forest zones as the vulnerable sectors.
To put in place planned adaptation actions, Fokabs is supporting the government of Guinea to:
- ·Develop their National Climate Change Strategy (NCCS),
- · Develop operational plan for the implementation of the Strategy,
- · Provide decision-makers and stakeholders with updated climate information for planning,
- · Take concrete actions to fight climate change.
Duration: 10/2018 – 02/2019
Client: UNDP Guinea
RRR Mid-term Review
Countries: Belize, Dominican Republic, Dominica, St. Lucia, Guyana, Panama, Liberia, Ghana, Cameroon, Gabon, Congo, DRC, Pakistan, Vietnam, Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Mozambique, Vanuatu, Papua New Guinea, Fiji.
The Reporting for Results-based REDD+ (RRR+) is a three-year project (2017-2019) implemented by the Coalition for Rainforest Nations (CfRN) and the Climate and Development Knowledge Network (CDKN). The project aims at building capacity on the measurement of GHG reductions and carbon stock enhancement in the agriculture, forest and other land use (AFOLU) sector. The mid-term review (MTR) will be conducted in all the 21 countries where the RRR+ project is being implemented.
The MTR aims at:
- Providing an independent assessment of the extent to which the RRR+ project is performing against its results framework, the extent to which the project represents good value for the money and identify gaps or challenges for the remainder of the project.
- Analyzing the assumptions that underpin the project’s Theory of Change (ToC).
- Making recommendations for relevant stakeholders to take forward to support maximum delivery of results going forwards.
Duration: 09/2018 – 11/2018
Client: China Africa Advisory / PwC / NICFI
Vulnerability Assessment (Agriculture, Fishery & Forest Sectors)
In response to the risks posed by climate change, there is a need to conduct and update relevant climate vulnerability and risk assessment in the key sectors. This project will support the Liberian government to put its National Adaptation Planning (NAP) into process, by identifying and updating climate vulnerability and risks in the sectors of agriculture, fishery and forestry and also existing trends in climate.
Fokabs is responsible for:
- · Consulting all relevant documents, data and stakeholders
- · Conducting training workshops on climate risk assessments
- Working with key relevant technical partner institutions and experts to identify broader climate change issues, review existing and past climate change interventions at national and sectoral level
- Working with impact modeler to verify climate change predictions.
- Assessing the occurrence of climate change hazards over the last 10 years
- Identifying observed trends in climate to examine potential future climate conditions, the possible impacts on agriculture, fisheries and forestry
- Conducting field consultation with local community groups in different agro-ecological zones on existing risks and vulnerabilities as well as their knowledge and experience.
- Preparing climate vulnerability maps based on existing environmental and climate data, including land cover/vegetation cover, slopes, hazards, and precipitation distribution.
- Identifying priority areas with high risks or vulnerability
- Mainstreaming gender-based data to inform the impact of climate change on each sector.
Duration: 09/2018 – 11/2018
Client: UNDP Liberia