Climate technology needs assessment and action plan
The objective of this assignment is to provide technical assistance to Cameroon to enable the development of a comprehensive Technology Needs Assessment (TNA) and Technology Action Plan (TAP). The technical assistance will entail conducting a categorization and prioritization of technologies that will comply with the Cameroonian NDC and other strategies. This work will enable Cameroon to implement its climate targets (included in the country’s NDC) using the most appropriate technologies. In this context, the TNA report and Action Plan will provide the necessary guidance to evolve the prioritized technologies and address the country needs in climate change adaptation and mitigation. The work will also be useful to the country to develop and strengthen its pipeline of projects to target the international and institutional climate finance landscape and associated opportunities for project implementation and so can act as connector between technology, policy and investor communities.
Duration: 09/2020 – 08/2021
Strategic Environmental and Social Assessment
Country: Burkina Faso
The development of the SESA aims to ensure that environmental and social issues are taken into account in the design and implementation of the REDD + process in Burkina Faso, leading to sustainable REDD + policies and in favor of vulnerable communities. The EESS will be complemented by an Environmental and Social Management Framework (CGES) which will guide the inclusion of environmental and social safeguard measures in potential REDD + investments in accordance with national and international safeguard policies, by an SIS which will inform on the consideration of safeguards in REDD + actions, a benefit-sharing mechanism that will ensure the fairness of the process and a complaints and appeals management mechanism to strengthen this fairness of REDD +. The specific objectives will be:
- Carrying out the strategic environmental and social assessment (including a CGES and an SIS);
- Proposal of guidelines for the development of the future benefit-sharing mechanism (including the proposal for a management approach for potential REDD + funds) and the proposal for a conflict management mechanism for the REDD + process.
Duration: 06/2020 - 08/2021
Client: World Bank
Review of Forest, Trees and Agroforestry Program
The primary purpose of the CRP 2020 review is to assess the extent to which CGIAR research programs are delivering Quality of Science and demonstrating effectiveness in relation to their own Theories of Change (or other planning documents stemming from the Theory of Change set forth at program inception, in the event that the original Theory of Change has not been updated to reflect the current thinking behind the CRP’s work). Within that primary purpose, the objectives of the independent CRP reviews are captioned below:
- To fulfil CGIAR’s obligations around accountability regarding the use of public funds and donor support for international agricultural research;
- To assess the effectiveness and evolution of research programs’ work under CRP 2017-2021;
- To provide an opportunity for programs under review to generate insights about their research contexts and programs of work, including lessons for future CGIAR research modalities.
Duration: 09/2020 – 12/2020
Mid-term Evaluation of LtC Program: Africa Youth Thematic Hub
Country: Cameroon,DRC, Kenya, Madagascar, Namibia, Tanzania and Uganda
The objective of this midterm evaluation is to review implementation progress of the Africa Youth Thematic Hub in relation to the desired outcomes of the Leading the Change (LtC) program as guided by the project document. More specifically the evaluation seeks to:
- Assess the progress made by the project in achieving the short-term outcomes of the LtC.
- Assess the level of extent the program is already contributing to WWF’s Practices outlined in the project document to include climate and energy, food, forests, fresh water and wildlife.
- Review the progress made in mainstreaming key pertinent issues in the LtC program to include a human rights-based approach and gender in the course of implementation.
- Assess strengths of the program and challenges experienced in delivering the key outcomes of the program
- Come up with the key learnings that can help to inform the remaining phase of the program.
Duration: 07/2020 – 09/2020
Evaluation of civil society capacity development project
The objective of this assignment is to review the 5-year Civil Society Project, which seeks to promote the role of CSOs as advocated for sustainable management of natural resources and sustainable investments. The review will focus on the effectiveness of the project and lessons learned, so as to inform planning for enhanced implementation and effectiveness during the final two years of the current phase of the project.
Duration: 03 / 2020 – 05 / 2020
NDC investment opportunities for the private sector
Countries: South Africa, Morocco, Nigeria, Angola, Mozambique and Egypt
The objective of this project is to address the challenges experienced by African countries in accessing climate finance. The project support AfDB in building and enhancing capacities required by the NDC agencies and facilitate the public and private sectors, financial sponsors and financiers to implementing climate change adaptation and mitigation actions. Specific objectives include: i) identification of green investment opportunities and facilitating proposal development; ii) establishing and developing linkages to NDC investment opportunities for the private sector with the focus of translating African NDCs into bankable and viable projects; iii) creating an enabling environment for increased private sector investments in green business in Africa; and iv) supporting the alignment of the NDCs within the AfDB’s private sector operations.
Duration: 02/2020 - 11/2020
Client: AfDB / Stantec
Review of GCF Funding Proposals
The objective of this assignment is to support the GCF Secretariat and particularly the DCP in the assessment of projects and programmes proposed for GCF funding. It will also include providing expert advice on the extent to which ESS, gender and IP issues, risk and potential impacts have been considered, assessed, proposed to be managed and incorporated into projects/programmes proposed for funding, already funded by the GCF or under implementation.
Duration: 12/2019 – 12/2020
Preparation of REDD+ GCF Concept note
Countries: Burundi, Cameroon, DRC, Congo, Gabon, CAR, Rwanda, Chad, EG, STP
The objective of this assignment is to provide substantive support to COMIFAC and the governments of its ten member states in drafting a funding proposal for the Green Climate Fund. Specific tasks include:
- Preparation of background study on forests, SFM and forest policies in Central Africa;
- Draft a pre-feasibility study;
- Draft 2 project proposals to serve as both stand-alone projects and templates for full range of project proposals;
- Participate in meetings and multi-stakeholder consultations with donors, ministries, NGOs, private sector and other relevant stakeholders;
- Work in close collaboration with COMIFAC and governments of its member states, UNFF’s Secretariat and the recommended accredited entity to produce relevant outputs.
Duration: 11/2019 – 06/2020
Preparation of Biennial Update Report
Country: Republic of Congo
The objective of this assignment is to guide the Republic of Congo in the preparation of its Biennial Update Report (BUR) with guidance from UNEP. This will include taking stock, stakeholder consultations, proposing a workplan and preparing a Biennial Update Report for submission to UNFCCC by the Republic of Congo.
Duration: 12/2019 – 01/2020
Translation of technical forestry and climate change documents
Countries: African countries
The objective of this assignment is to translate AFF’s technical forestry and climate change documents from English to French so that these documents, which are relevant to many African forestry stakeholders in decision making, policy formulation and implementation, can reach a wider audience.
Duration: 12 / 2019 – 03 / 2020
Client: African Forest Forum
Development of GCF full proposal on climate-smart agriculture
The goal of this project is to build the climate-resilience of Liberian smallholder farmers and facilitate the development of a sustainable crop and livestock-based economy by implementing large-scale climate-smart agricultural practices in different part of Liberia.
To achieve this goal, the project will:
- Develop a final GCF Funding Proposal that is consistent with all GCF requirements;
- Develop one additional GCF concept note that is consistent with all GCF requirements;
- Ensure that the GCF Funding Proposal is in line with UNFCCC and GCF Environmental Social Safeguard standards;
- Support UNDP Liberia in structuring the theory of change, logical framework and paradigm shift potential of the program;
- Ensure inclusion of the results of all essential stakeholder consultations within the Liberian NAP project into the design of the funding proposal; and
- Ensure the use of high quality referenced data to justify adaptation needs and quantify and qualify impacts of intended adaptation actions.
The project will directly and indirectly benefit an estimated 45,200 men and women who will implement or be engaged in climate-smart agriculture practices.
Duration: 09/2019 – 12 / 2019
Client: UNDP Liberia
GCF feasibility study on zero deforestation cocoa
The main objective of this assignment is to identify and implement in a concrete way, activities concerning the “zero deforestation in cocoa production” approach in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the Central Region, thus contributing to the development of the Emission Reduction Scenario.
Specific tasks for this project:
- Establish basic unit of expected emission reduction
- Establish geographical limit of the implementation of pilot
- Develop a potential assessment of the Central Region
- Specify stakeholders involved in the project and project activities
- Identify elements of social and environmental safeguards
- Propose monitoring and evaluation indicators
- Propose guidelines for capacity building activities
- Propose a pilot site for feasibility activity
- Develop a GCF concept note
Duration: 09 / 2019 – 11 / 2019
Client: JAFTA / JICA
Strengthen capacities of African forestry stakeholders to respond to climate change
Countries: Francophone Africa
This assignment aims at conducting studies on capacity strengthening for African forestry stakeholders on integrating adaptation and mitigation options in different forests, tree resources outside forests and social systems in both Anglophone and Francophone Africa.
Specific tasks for this assignment:
- Identify key stakeholders implementing promising forest-based adaptation and mitigation policies, strategies and actions;
- Identify key stakeholders implementing promising on farm tree-based adaptation and mitigation activities in areas around the chosen forest type through Agroforestry and other farm-based management of natural resources (FMNR) approaches;
- Evaluate the determinants of choice of strategies in (i) and (ii) as well as success in both on addressing climate change and variability in the chosen forest and agroforest types;
- Evaluate the external environment, including policies, legislation and incentives that have facilitated implementation of these promising adaptation and mitigation activities in selected forest types and other land use based on trees outside forests; and
- Develop a framework for integrating forest and tree-based adapatation and mitigation options in the chosen forest/agroforest types.
Duration: 06 / 2019 – 09 / 2019
Client: African Forest Forum
Develop teaching compendiums for training on forests and climate change in Africa
Countries: African countries
This assignment aims at developing four training modules on forests and climate change in a pedagogical manner, so as to facilitate sub-regional training workshops in Sub-Saharan African countries.
Specific tasks include:
- Update and develop content of the training modules on forests and climate change mitigation for short courses;
- Produce the training compendium with illustrations;
- Facilitate a meeting with experts to validate the training compendium produced; and
- Produce a report on validation workshop of the training compendium.
Duration: 06 / 2019 – 08 /2019
Client: African Forest Forum
Mainstreaming climate change into protected areas and conservation strategies
The goal of this assignment is to facilitate the mainstreaming of climate change adaptation in protected area management plans and the WWF conservation strategy.
Specific objectives are as follows:
- Conduct vulnerability assessment around key protected areas in WWF priority landscapes;
- Assess protected area management plans for climate change adaptation mainstreaming options;
- Mainstream climate change adaptation in protected area management and WWF conservation plans; and
- Monitor and document key lessons learnt and project processes and outcomes to facilitate replication elsewhere.
Duration: 07/2019 – 10/2019
Enhancing African national forest governance to respond to the Paris Climate Agreement.
Countries: African countries
This assignment has as objective to generate information and knowledge on how African national forest governance is responding to the Paris Agreement and related global climate change policies and initiatives.
- Identify areas of overlap and synergy in the national forestry sector and other relevant global and regional climate change related policies and initiatives;
- Identify knowledge and skills required on mainstreaming global and regional climate policies and initiatives into national forestry policies;
- Identify gaps in the development of national forest sector contribution to current NDCs;
- Define the role of REDD+ in the national forestry sector contributions to NDCs;
- Improve representation of LULUCF in NDCs; and
- Assess how to increase capacity for national forestry sector reporting to national, regional and international constituencies as well as strengthening development second NDC in 2020.
Duration: 08 / 2019 – 11 / 2019
Client: African Forest Forum
Mid-term Review Citizen Voices for Change project (CV4C)
Countries: Cameroon, Central African Republic, Congo, DRC, Gabon.
This assignment aims to understand progress that the project has made so far towards achieving its objectives and outcomes and draw lessons for improvement during the rest of the project’s implementation.
The objectives of the MTR are:
- To assess the extent to which the project is on track, in terms of implementation and achievement of the results (positive /negative/intended/unplanned etc.);
- To conduct a mid-point assessment of enabling conditions / constraining factors stakeholders perceive could help / hinder project sustainability;
- To identify good practices, lessons learnt case studies, and potential models for scale up / adaptation / replication, which will inform activity planning and organisational learning among the partners;
- To revise and validate indicators in the logframe and check whether assumptions are holding
- To make recommendations for the second phase of the project in 2019-20.
Duration: 04/2019 – 12/2019
Client: CIDT - University of Wolverhampton, UK
Development of National REDD+ Strategy
Country: Central African Republic
This project aims to prepare the CAR National Strategy and REDD + Action Plan. The REDD + strategy will include the following elements:
- Objectives of the REDD + strategy in CAR
- Consultations in the strategy development process
- Governance of REDD +
- Institutional Arrangement
- Political and legal environment
- Social and environmental safeguards
- Analysis of factors of deforestation and forest degradation
- Key interventions to combat deforestation and forest degradation
- Implementation approach: emission reduction program
- MRV and SIS system
- Forest Monitoring System
- Reference level
- National Register REDD + Etc.
Duration: 04/2019 – 05/2020
Client: World Bank
Congo Basin Climate Commission Blue Fund
Countries: Angola, Burundi, Congo, Cameroon, Gabon, EG, CAR, DRC, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Morocco, STP, South Sudan, Tanzania, Chad, Zambia.
The prefiguration study of the Blue Fund for the Congo Basin Climate Commission aims at:
- Analyze the institutional, technical, legal, fiscal and financial conditions and draw up the recommendations for ensuring the operationalization of the fund in an optimal timetable and operational framework for all stakeholders.
- Growth funding is needed in the eligible areas to determine the budget to be mobilized by F2BC according to the sequences that led to the emergence of member countries.
- Collector, analyzer and restore the expectations, constraints and objectives of all the countries engaged by the Memorandum of Understanding, as well as by the associated institutional, economic, industrial and associative actors.
The study should produce the following elements:
- The Congo Basin country investment plan presenting a pipeline of projects.
- The financial vehicle, including its legal form, subscription model, capitalization and location.
- Political and strategic governance with the structuring of governance and the development of the associated steering and reporting macro-processes
- The Open Bank of the Blue Funds of the Strategic Management, Transparency and Compliance Legal and Tax.
Duration: 04/ 2019 – 07/ 2019
Client: Ernst & Young / UNDP
REDD+ Feasibility Study and Project Design Document
The main objective of this assignment is to carry out a REDD+ feasibility study and elaborate a REDD+ project document for the Belabo-Doume-Diang (BDD) intermunicipal forest landscape in the eastern region of Cameroon. Fokabs experts will:
- Define the scale of the REDD+ project, the reference zone and escape area of the project,
- Identify stakeholders & key REDD+ activities, conduct extensive consultations;
- Evaluate geo-physical, ecological & land use aspects, & climate and vegetation types;
- Analyse historical and project future drivers of deforestation and forest degradation;
- Describe and demonstrate additionality in the proposed REDD+ project;
- Quantify and estimate current levels and growth of forest carbon stocks in the project area;
- Map carbon pools for the project;
- Develop forest reference levels, MRV system and estimate emission reduction;
- Analyse non-carbon benefit aspects of the REDD+ project; conduct socio-economic study;
- Identify High Conservation Values (HCV) for communities and biodiversity;
- Propose activities to reduce deforestation and forest degradation in the project area;
- Propose a theory of change;
- Assess the social and environmental impacts of project activities and propose safeguards;
- Conduct economic and financial analysis to estimate costs and returns;
- Propose institutional arrangements & stakeholder platforms to manage the project;
- Develop project M&E frameworks & design financial & technical reporting formats;
- Assess land tenure risks and mitigation strategies;
- Propose a mechanism and an operationalization plan for sharing benefits;
- clarify carbon usage and ownership rights at the project site;
- Analyse potential conflicts related to the REDD+ project and propose solutions;
- Evaluate internal and external risks and propose risk mitigation strategies.
Duration: 01/2019 – 07/2019
Client:GIZ / Eco-Consult