Migration, Environment and Climate Change
Countries: Southern African Region - SADC
The objectives of this project are to:
a) Analyse the impacts of climate change in the Southern Africa region;
b) Analyse how Southern African country and regional policies are taking account the impacts of climate change;
c) Conduct a critical review of the potential mobility impacts of climate change in the Southern African region;
d) Analyze the extent to which environment and climate change is considered in migration management policies and vice-versa in the Southern African Region;
e) Provide recommendations, existing good practices, and lessons learned to address mobility impacts of climate change in the Region;
Duration:11/2020 – 01/2021
Growth potential of economically important rattan species
This project aims to examine the structure, shape, and growth patterns of fast-growing rattans to draw conclusions and recommendations as to the ideal conditions in which to cultivate rattan, to illuminate how fast-growing rattans make a come-back in Cameroon and elsewhere.
The role of Fokabs in the project is to:
- study and analyse the growth pattern (growth rate, bio-physical interaction in the ecosystem) of rattan species in different agro-ecological zones.
- Estimate yields and necessary measures for the sustainable management and harvesting.
Duration: 08/2020 - 03/2021
Review and Update of NDC
Countries: St. Vincent and the Grenadines
The objective of this project is to technically support the Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) target review and updating process in St. Vincent and the Grenadines and the drafting of the final revised NDC document. This project will conduct the following:
- A stocktaking of NDC target development process.
- Update the targets of the previously submitted NDCs to reflect new targets for adaptation with new and more robust data and information.
- Review and update elements of the NDC to identify and seize opportunities for enhanced ambition including aligning private sector initiatives to any new climate targets or goals.
- Review and analyse work delivered by partners to ensure that the mandated sections to be included in the NDC are completed.
- Liaise with the Quality Assurance expert, UNDP Project team and incorporating changes as guided by National Technical Advisory Committee on Climate Change (NTACCC) into the final document.
- Upon agreement with national partners and experts, incorporate improvements in final draft of NDC.
Duration:03/2021 – 06/2021
Client: UNDP Barbados
Final Evaluation of Our City 2030 Project
Countries: Rwanda, Zambia, Uganda, The Philippines
The goal of the project is to deliver against UN's goals for sustainable development (SDG): SDG 13: Climate change, SDG 10: Reducing inequality and SDG 16: Peace, justice and strong institutions. Our City 2030 seeks to engage school children and young people to develop visions and solutions with the aim of making their cities climate-resilient, low on carbon emissions and sustainable.
The main objective of the final evaluation is to review implementation progress of Our City 2030 in relation to the desired outcomes of the project as guided by the project document. More specifically the evaluation seeks to:
- Assess the progress made by the project in achieving the short , medium and long term outcomes of Our City 2030.
- Assess strengths of the project and challenges experienced in delivering the key outcomes of the project as per criteria's below.
- Come up with the key learnings that can support continuing or replicating the work after the end of the project, both in participating schools but also to promote dispersion of the methodology of the project, as well as support climate advocacy efforts.
Duration: 11/2020 - 02/2021
Client: WWF Sweden & Plan International
Climate Risk Finance for Sustainable Agriculture
The objective of the GEF/LDCF – funded project is to increase climate resilience of rain-fed farmer and pastoral communities in regions of high rainfall variability through climate risk financing in Sudan.
Fokabs role was to conduct a terminal evaluation (TE) of the project. The TE:
- Assessed the achievement of project results as indicated in the project logical framework.
- Drew lessons learned and identified the best practices from the project.
- Highlighted steps taken in order to ensure / enhance sustainability of the project results.
- Provided recommendations that would guide the implementation of similar projects in the future as well as better inform the preparation of the exit strategy of the project.
Duration:11/2020 – 01/2021
Client: UNDP Sudan
Final evaluation of rural resilience project
Countries: Central African Republic (CAR)
Fokabs is conducting the final evaluation of the project: Strengthening rural resilience and supporting the recovery of producers and promising agro-pastoral sectors by strengthening local capacities and creating jobs in all the prefectures of northern CAR.
With the financial support of the European Union's Békou fund, this project aims to promote an integrated revival of agro-pastoral sectors in the prefectures of Ouham-Pendé, Ouham, Bamingui-Bangoran and Vakaga. The main objective is to contribute to strengthening the resilience of actors in the agro-pastoral sector through their structuring for the sustainable and equitable integration of promising markets.
Duration: 11/2020 - 02/2021
Client: Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Support to NDC implementation
The objective of this assignment is to assess the enabling conditions for the implementation of NDC projects in the Republic of Gabon. Specifically, it involves:
- The review, update and alignment of sectoral policies for NDC implementation;
- The assessment of progress in the implementation of NDC relevant projects;
- The Assessment of governance, finance and capacity gaps in NDC implementation;
- Capacity needs assessment and the development of a capacity building action plan for NDC implementation;
- Proposing a system to prioritise NDC projects;
- Proposing a system to monitor the implementation of NDC projects.
Climate technology needs assessment and action plan
The objective of this assignment is to provide technical assistance to Cameroon to enable the development of a comprehensive Technology Needs Assessment (TNA) and Technology Action Plan (TAP). The technical assistance will entail conducting a categorization and prioritization of technologies that will comply with the Cameroonian NDC and other strategies. This work will enable Cameroon to implement its climate targets (included in the country’s NDC) using the most appropriate technologies. In this context, the TNA report and Action Plan will provide the necessary guidance to evolve the prioritized technologies and address the country needs in climate change adaptation and mitigation. The work will also be useful to the country to develop and strengthen its pipeline of projects to target the international and institutional climate finance landscape and associated opportunities for project implementation and so can act as connector between technology, policy and investor communities.
Duration: 09/2020 – 08/2021
Strategic Environmental and Social Assessment
Country: Burkina Faso
The development of the SESA aims to ensure that environmental and social issues are taken into account in the design and implementation of the REDD + process in Burkina Faso, leading to sustainable REDD + policies and in favor of vulnerable communities. The EESS will be complemented by an Environmental and Social Management Framework (CGES) which will guide the inclusion of environmental and social safeguard measures in potential REDD + investments in accordance with national and international safeguard policies, by an SIS which will inform on the consideration of safeguards in REDD + actions, a benefit-sharing mechanism that will ensure the fairness of the process and a complaints and appeals management mechanism to strengthen this fairness of REDD +. The specific objectives will be:
- Carrying out the strategic environmental and social assessment (including a CGES and an SIS);
- Proposal of guidelines for the development of the future benefit-sharing mechanism (including the proposal for a management approach for potential REDD + funds) and the proposal for a conflict management mechanism for the REDD + process.
Duration: 06/2020 - 08/2021
Client: World Bank
Review of Forest, Trees and Agroforestry Program
The primary purpose of the CRP 2020 review is to assess the extent to which CGIAR research programs are delivering Quality of Science and demonstrating effectiveness in relation to their own Theories of Change (or other planning documents stemming from the Theory of Change set forth at program inception, in the event that the original Theory of Change has not been updated to reflect the current thinking behind the CRP’s work). Within that primary purpose, the objectives of the independent CRP reviews are captioned below:
- To fulfil CGIAR’s obligations around accountability regarding the use of public funds and donor support for international agricultural research;
- To assess the effectiveness and evolution of research programs’ work under CRP 2017-2021;
- To provide an opportunity for programs under review to generate insights about their research contexts and programs of work, including lessons for future CGIAR research modalities.
Duration: 09/2020 – 12/2020
Mid-term Evaluation of LtC Program: Africa Youth Thematic Hub
Country: Cameroon,DRC, Kenya, Madagascar, Namibia, Tanzania and Uganda
The objective of this midterm evaluation is to review implementation progress of the Africa Youth Thematic Hub in relation to the desired outcomes of the Leading the Change (LtC) program as guided by the project document. More specifically the evaluation seeks to:
- Assess the progress made by the project in achieving the short-term outcomes of the LtC.
- Assess the level of extent the program is already contributing to WWF’s Practices outlined in the project document to include climate and energy, food, forests, fresh water and wildlife.
- Review the progress made in mainstreaming key pertinent issues in the LtC program to include a human rights-based approach and gender in the course of implementation.
- Assess strengths of the program and challenges experienced in delivering the key outcomes of the program
- Come up with the key learnings that can help to inform the remaining phase of the program.
Duration: 07/2020 – 09/2020
Evaluation of civil society capacity development project
The objective of this assignment is to review the 5-year Civil Society Project, which seeks to promote the role of CSOs as advocated for sustainable management of natural resources and sustainable investments. The review will focus on the effectiveness of the project and lessons learned, so as to inform planning for enhanced implementation and effectiveness during the final two years of the current phase of the project.
Duration: 03 / 2020 – 05 / 2020
NDC investment opportunities for the private sector
Countries: South Africa, Morocco, Nigeria, Angola, Mozambique and Egypt
The objective of this project is to address the challenges experienced by African countries in accessing climate finance. The project support AfDB in building and enhancing capacities required by the NDC agencies and facilitate the public and private sectors, financial sponsors and financiers to implementing climate change adaptation and mitigation actions. Specific objectives include: i) identification of green investment opportunities and facilitating proposal development; ii) establishing and developing linkages to NDC investment opportunities for the private sector with the focus of translating African NDCs into bankable and viable projects; iii) creating an enabling environment for increased private sector investments in green business in Africa; and iv) supporting the alignment of the NDCs within the AfDB’s private sector operations.
Duration: 02/2020 - 11/2020
Client: AfDB / Stantec
Integration of Climate Change in the management plans and tools of protected areas
Countries: Niger, Bénin, Burkina Faso
The overall objective of this assignment is to develop an adaptation plan for the WAP transboundary protected area complex in West Africa, including a short-, medium- and long-term action plan and other related climate change response tools. Specifically, the assignment involves:
- The development of a climate change adaptation plan accompanied by an action plan including short, medium and long-term adaptation options and strategies to be carried out, in order to reduce current and future climate risks which could affect ecosystems and the livelihoods of neighbouring populations;
- Develop a methodology and guidelines for integrating climate change adaptation measures into the planning and management process of the WAP complex;
- Develop technical tools for integrating Climate change in the management plans of each of the protected area in the complex.
Client: Observatory for the Sahara and the Sahel
Review of GCF Funding Proposals
The objective of this assignment is to support the GCF Secretariat and particularly the DCP in the assessment of projects and programmes proposed for GCF funding. It will also include providing expert advice on the extent to which ESS, gender and IP issues, risk and potential impacts have been considered, assessed, proposed to be managed and incorporated into projects/programmes proposed for funding, already funded by the GCF or under implementation.
Duration: 12/2019 – 12/2020
Preparation of REDD+ GCF Concept note
Countries: Burundi, Cameroon, DRC, Congo, Gabon, CAR, Rwanda, Chad, EG, STP
The objective of this assignment is to provide substantive support to COMIFAC and the governments of its ten member states in drafting a funding proposal for the Green Climate Fund. Specific tasks include:
- Preparation of background study on forests, SFM and forest policies in Central Africa;
- Draft a pre-feasibility study;
- Draft 2 project proposals to serve as both stand-alone projects and templates for full range of project proposals;
- Participate in meetings and multi-stakeholder consultations with donors, ministries, NGOs, private sector and other relevant stakeholders;
- Work in close collaboration with COMIFAC and governments of its member states, UNFF’s Secretariat and the recommended accredited entity to produce relevant outputs.
Duration: 11/2019 – 06/2020
Preparation of Biennial Update Report
Country: Republic of Congo
The objective of this assignment is to guide the Republic of Congo in the preparation of its Biennial Update Report (BUR) with guidance from UNEP. This will include taking stock, stakeholder consultations, proposing a workplan and preparing a Biennial Update Report for submission to UNFCCC by the Republic of Congo.
Duration: 12/2019 – 01/2020
Translation of technical forestry and climate change documents
Countries: African countries
The objective of this assignment is to translate AFF’s technical forestry and climate change documents from English to French so that these documents, which are relevant to many African forestry stakeholders in decision making, policy formulation and implementation, can reach a wider audience.
Duration: 12 / 2019 – 03 / 2020
Client: African Forest Forum
Development of GCF full proposal on climate-smart agriculture
The goal of this project is to build the climate-resilience of Liberian smallholder farmers and facilitate the development of a sustainable crop and livestock-based economy by implementing large-scale climate-smart agricultural practices in different part of Liberia.
To achieve this goal, the project will:
- Develop a final GCF Funding Proposal that is consistent with all GCF requirements;
- Develop one additional GCF concept note that is consistent with all GCF requirements;
- Ensure that the GCF Funding Proposal is in line with UNFCCC and GCF Environmental Social Safeguard standards;
- Support UNDP Liberia in structuring the theory of change, logical framework and paradigm shift potential of the program;
- Ensure inclusion of the results of all essential stakeholder consultations within the Liberian NAP project into the design of the funding proposal; and
- Ensure the use of high quality referenced data to justify adaptation needs and quantify and qualify impacts of intended adaptation actions.
The project will directly and indirectly benefit an estimated 45,200 men and women who will implement or be engaged in climate-smart agriculture practices.
Duration: 09/2019 – 12 / 2019
Client: UNDP Liberia
GCF feasibility study on zero deforestation cocoa
The main objective of this assignment is to identify and implement in a concrete way, activities concerning the “zero deforestation in cocoa production” approach in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the Central Region, thus contributing to the development of the Emission Reduction Scenario.
Specific tasks for this project:
- Establish basic unit of expected emission reduction
- Establish geographical limit of the implementation of pilot
- Develop a potential assessment of the Central Region
- Specify stakeholders involved in the project and project activities
- Identify elements of social and environmental safeguards
- Propose monitoring and evaluation indicators
- Propose guidelines for capacity building activities
- Propose a pilot site for feasibility activity
- Develop a GCF concept note
Duration: 09 / 2019 – 11 / 2019
Client: JAFTA / JICA