The objective of this project is to develop the “National Strategy for Adaptation and Resilience of Transport Infrastructures to the Effects of Climate Change in Cameroon”.
The specific objectives are the following:
- Assess climate change and vulnerability of transport infrastructures to natural hazards ;
- To establish a state of vulnerability of land, maritime and airport transport networks and to prepare adaptive and progressive response strategies to climate change issues, both global and territorial ;
- Assess risks and mapping hazards to understand the consequences of climate change and the risks they present to transportation infrastructures;
- Identify the technical references used in Cameroon referring to climate variables made by the climate change scenarios and identify the information needs on climate hazards ;
- Verify if the infrastructures-built decades ago for a long period of time, according to elaborated technical references, allow to answer in a satisfactory way to the possible evolutions of the different solicitations – average and extreme conditions – expected under the effect of the climate change ;
- Propose modifications and revise the reference texts ;
- Propose a harmonized methodology to carry out the vulnerability diagnoses of infrastructures and land, maritime and airport transport systems.
Scope of the Mission
Diagnostic evaluation of the vulnerability of transport infrastructures to climate change.
- Based on existing data and knowledge, consultations with relevant technical services and visual inspection ;
- Identify on a pre-defined methodology and appropriate to the country context the priority geographical areas vulnerable to existing and future disaster risks, all of which will result in the assessment of risks and the level of exposure/vulnerabilities that will consider the size of the population, the level of poverty, the concentration of critical social services and the major economic activities ;
- Assess the severity and likely frequency of risk impacts for all major transportation system routes ;
- Assess the impacts of loss of connectivity and access in priority areas based on the experience of recent severe weather events.
Definitions of resilience and adaptation directions/guidelines (cross-cutting and specific) for the planning and operation of transport infrastructure in Cameroon.
- Identification of potential resilience and adaptation directions/options that address the assessed vulnerabilities and are technically feasible and appropriate in the country context ;
- Preparation of tools to assess the vulnerability of transport infrastructure assets to current and future climate events ;
- Reviewing the current transport infrastructure planning processes, the legal and institutional framework for the transport infrastructure sector, national transport infrastructure delivery standards, maintenance methods (routine, periodic and emergency) and related processes and assessing their adequacy considering projected climate change and vulnerabilities to natural hazards. Recommend appropriate reforms ;
- Reviewing the relevant legal and institutional framework for implementation of climate change adaptation and recommending specific reforms needed.
Duration: 04/2023 – 03/2024
Client: World Bank