The objectives of the GCF-funded project (PIMS 5681) are to: (1) create a conducive environment for enhanced development of, and investment into, the renewable energy sector in Republic of Mauritius; (2) carry out a number of grid strengthening / upgrading activities including the installation of 18 MW Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) to increase the grid absorption capacity by around an additional 125 MW; and (3 install a 300kW, solar PV-powered mini-grid in the outer island of Agalega.
Fokabs’ role is to conduct the interim evaluation (IE). The IE will assess implementation of the project and progress towards the achievement of the project objectives and outcomes as specified in the UNDP Project Document and GCF Funded Activity Agreement (FAA), and assess early signs of project success or failure with the goal of identifying the necessary changes to be made in order to set the project on-track to achieve its intended results. The Interim Evaluation will also review the project’s strategy and its risks to sustainability.
The IE will assess the following:
- Implementation and adaptive management
- Risks to sustainability
- Relevance, effectiveness, and efficiency
- Coherence in climate finance delivery with other multilateral entities
- Gender equity
- Country ownership of projects and programmes
- Innovativeness in results areas
- Replication and scalability
- Unexpected results, both positive and negative
- Impact of the Covid19 pandemic on the project implementation and performance
The Initiative for Climate Action Transparency (ICAT) supports countries in developing their capacity to build and manage a strong transparency framework that can enable them to effectively implement the Paris Agreement. This project provides technical support to the regional climate action transparency hub for the Central African countries.
Key activities include:
- Transparency needs and gap analysis;
- Training activities: Develop, roll-out and monitor trainings and capacity building activities;
- Technical Support related to MRV, transparency framework, ICAT tools, methodologies and NDC tracking and development;
- Management support for the Central African regional hub (regional centre, national experts network, progress reporting, outreach) and coordination with other ICAT activities.
Duration: 07/2022 – 06/2023