WE ARE HIRING: GIS & Remote Sensing (Intern) [Closed]
We are currently seeking a GIS / Remote Sensing officer (Intern) to work across several projects on natural resources and climate change. The intern will establish and support the maintenance of a geospatial database containing GIS, remote sensing and other data related to Fokabs activities.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Continually identify, acquire and enrich the database with external spatial data relevant to Fokabs’ conservation, REDD+, FLEGT and land-use planning activities.
- Identify and develop new methods of data compilation, data logging, and analysis, using new database systems such as smart phones, online tools and websites.
- Support other Fokabs GIS Specialists and consultants in the collection, storage, analysis, mapping, imaging, and communication of geospatial information.
- Ensure the database is appropriately stored and regularly backed up.
- Provide technical support to the development and maintenance of web database application and any other database program and functions requiring programming and analysis.
- Provide analyses on appropriate GIS, spatial analysis software, to ensure that the software used is of the appropriate standard.
- Provide GIS support to Fokabs programs, including development of thematic maps.
- Support the analysis of remote-sensing data (e.g. satellite images) in order to assess land-use and land-use change in Fokabs target landscapes.
- Undertake ground-truthing as needed, in conjunction with fields staff, in order to verify the maps and spatial analyses produced and to determine levels of accuracy.
- A Master’s degree in GIS, remote sensing or related fields
- Experience in GIS or remote sensing – based work is an asset
- Excellent verbal and written command of French or English
- Willingness to travel and on short notice
- Willing to work in difficult field conditions
Deadline for Application: until position is filled
Starting date: As soon as possible
Location: Yaounde, Cameroon
To apply for this internship position, send one PDF file containing a cover letter, a list of two referees and your CV to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subject heading should be: “GIS/Remote Sensing Intern”.